Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The German Arms, Hahndorf

http://germanarmshotel.com.au/

With Matt absent tonight, it was time for me to ride solo. Dinner at the German Arms, and imagine my delight when I discovered that tonight was schnitzel night! $12 schnitties, every sauce and topping imaginable, and four – yes, four – choices: chicken, beef, pork and squid. Squid schnitzel? Well, I’m sure I’ll try it one day, but I wasn’t really convinced. Something about that just doesn’t sound right. “Chicken Schnitty with mushroom gravy thanks!”

The meal arrived, and it was the polar opposite of my Ox meal the week before. The schnitty is thick and juicy – tender on the inside and crispy on the outside, as a good schnitzel should be. The generous serving of thick mushroom gravy complements it perfectly. However, I foolishly ordered vegetables on the side instead of salad, and I face the ultimate penalty – no chips. My vegetable serving is also unimpressive: two tiny roast potatoes, a piece of pumpkin and three slices of cucumber. Slim pickings. Luckily the schnitzel itself is delicious and at $12 I feel like I have received value for money. My friend has ordered a chicken parmigiana, which is also thick and tender. She has wisely chosen salad (which she doesn’t touch), but even so, the serving of chips seems far from adequate.

The restaurant itself has a bit of an old-fashioned atmosphere, which I really enjoy. Many places in Hahndorf are similar in this way – certainly the town has managed to maintain much of its nineteenth century German heritage. The pub is not overcrowded, but there are enough people here to create a buzzing, happy environment. The staff are extremely polite and deliver excellent service. Overall, a very pleasurable dining experience.

The Verdict: Schnitzel Night is definitely the night to be here (Thursday by the way) – and make sure you order the salad. Probably not a place where you’d choose to have a big group get together – the friendly, relaxed atmosphere here is ideal for smaller groups. If you decide to give the squid schnitty a try, let me know how it goes.

Taste 4.5/5, Size  3.5/5, Value 3.5/5, Sides 2/5, Experience 4/5
Total = 70%