Thursday, November 10, 2011

The Royal Hotel Kent Town

http://www.theroyalhotel.net.au/

Ten-dollar schnitzels. All day. Every day. Great, I thought, but where’s the catch? Do I eat the schnitzel, then wake up three days later without my kidneys? It seemed too good to be true. Although from past experience, ten dollar schnitties tend to lack the size and quality of their more expensive counterparts. Fair to say I walked into the hotel with my expectations fairly low.

The actual hotel itself was quite nice, with a sophisticated restaurant complemented by a spacious beer garden. And although the meal we were served up with tonight was by no means hanging off our plate, or unmatched in taste, I have no regrets about parting ways with my ten dollars. For a start, the restaurant had a salad bar – a rarity so far in our travels. It was nothing extraordinary (couscous salad, garden salad, watermelon, potato bake, pumpkin etc), but certainly added to the experience.

The meal itself wasn’t brilliantly presented, nor were the chips or schnitzel size anything to be excited about. The schnitzel was fairly thin, although quite tasty. The seafood topping, which consisted of three different types of fish in a creamy sauce, certainly gets points for creativity. Considering that we paid little more than a bus fare for our meal, I’m calling tonight a winner.

The Verdict: Certainly value for money, and not the worst ten-dollar schnitzel going around.

Taste 4/5, Size 3/5, Value 4.5/5, Sides 3.5/5, Experience 3.5/5
Total 74%