Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Daniel O’Connell

http://www.danieloconnell.com.au/

The Dan O’ Connell was a bit of a surprise packet, I must say. An Irish pub in North Adelaide that I had heard the odd bit about, but had never been tempted to visit. The main dining area has a genuine Irish feel to it, with the furniture, whisky bottles and books in the bookshelf giving it a very 1800s Irish atmosphere. Oh, and the Irish music in the background probably helped as well. The service was friendly and efficient, and the schnitzels themselves were outstanding. I don’t know how I could fault the meal that I ate there. It just ticked every box. I cannot remember a chicken schnitzel ever being so moist on the inside. Very flavoursome as well, and surprisingly thick. This breast certainly hadn’t been battered to a pulp before it was cooked. The texture, taste and thickness were all very much to my liking. The sides were impressive as well. A very different schnitzel to the alehouse plate-hangers but, for someone who enjoys food of a high quality, this place is well worth a visit.

The Verdict: Definitely a winner. Taste 4.5/5, Size 4/5, Value 4/5, Sides 3.5/5, Experience 4/5. Total 80%.