Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Tonsley

http://www.tonsleyhotel.com.au/

The 350g chicken schnitzel and 400g porterhouse beef schnitzel listed on the menu sounded impressive. I decided I would go the beef today, lured by the extra 50g on offer. The restaurant itself was quite classy to behold, with friendly staff behind the counter, and bread rolls already on the counter when we arrived. I had taken the first bite of my roll when bam, my meal was on the table before me. I was immediately suspicious. That was much too fast. How long had that schnitty been sitting in the kitchen, waiting for someone to order it? But hunger overpowers suspicion every time, and so I dug in. Despite what the menu said, my beef schnitzel looked significantly smaller than Ash’s chicken parmi, even taking volume of cheese into account. I realised then and there that, somehow, a 400g schnitzel is far less impressive than a 400g steak. But it tasted ok, despite being a little thin, and at $17 I certainly didn’t feel ripped off. Ash reported that his chicken schnitzel was quite tasty as well. The chips were of decent quality, although the salad was predominantly lettuce. The restaurant itself would be an ideal place for a quiet meal with a smaller group. Peaceful and classy, with nice interior and exterior architecture.

The Verdict: Worth a visit if you happen to be in the area. The schnitties are nice, but aren’t exactly going to win awards any time soon. This would be an ideal place for a Sunday lunch with the folks, maybe for Dad’s birthday.

Taste 3.5/5, Size 3.5/5, Value 3/5, Sides 3.5/5, Experience 4/5.
Total = 70%