Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The Avoca

www.avocahotel.com.au

Ten-dollar Schnitzels is a pretty difficult temptation to resist, even if I know deep down that the quality will be low. So I finally caved in and took advantage of the Avoca’s Tuesday night special. I’m not sure if I gained a huge advantage out of it. The taste wasn’t particularly great – the meat was about as thin and processed as I could handle without failing it on taste. The schnitzel was as rigid as a block of wood. The size was reasonable for ten dollars, but the lack of thickness was telling. The chips and salad were nothing to sneeze at – credit where it’s due, the gravy came in a separate bowl, and the chips weren’t hidden under the schnitty. And apart from some questionable music video clips being shown on the tv, the dining experience here was actually pretty good. We walked through the main restaurant on the way to the bar, and it looked very impressive, while the bar itself had a good atmosphere.

image

Look, for ten dollars it was alright. It’s a pretty decent place, with bars, restaurant and good outdoor seating. And the meals aren’t expensive here at all. Maybe the schnitzels are better on other nights, I don’t know. We can only rate what we get on our plate (excuse my poetry).

The Verdict: Pretty bland, but I guess I wasn’t ripped off…

Taste: 2.5/5, Size: 3/5, Value: 3.5/5, Sides: 3.5/5, Dining Experience: 4/5
Overall: 66%