Saturday, February 4, 2012

The Bath Hotel

www.bathhotel.com.au

I wanted to give this place a good score. Really, I did. The hotel is very nicely set up – classy restaurant, tasteful bar, spacious beer garden, great location on the Parade. Our waitress was really friendly and helpful (and quite attractive, which always seems to happen when I eat out with my parents), telling us about all the specials of the day (of which there were about twenty – all sorts of classy stuff like venison fillet and twice-cooked leg of duck, with all manner of accompanying vegetables, dressings and garnishing with unpronounceable French names. Of course, I already knew what I was going to order.

My mother, father and grandmother all ordered the sorts of meals that any normal person would order at a classy restaurant. And they all arrived on the table looking fantastic. My schnitzel, however, was disappointment on a dinner plate. It was the size of my hand, the meat was tasteless and flattened to oblivion, the chips were average and sparse (and hidden underneath what there was of my schnitty), the salad was ok but nothing amazing (the dressing tasted pretty cheap), the crumbing looked like it had been glued to the meat, and was falling off with every incision I made. And at $18.50 + $2 for gravy, this was definitely not a winner. Might go the duck a l’orange or the ox tail next time…

The Verdict: If you go to a fancy restaurant, order a fancy meal. They never seem to do schnitties right.

Taste 2/5, Size 2/5, Value 1.5/5, Sides 3/5, Experience 4/5
Total 50%

image