Friday, February 10, 2012

Roaring 40s, Angaston

This place in the Barossa Valley is famous for it’s pizzas, many of which have won awards for their quality. It was tough to pass up the opportunity to try one for myself, but I have an obligation to rate a schnitzel wherever I go. And at $22, I was hoping it was gonna be pretty good.

My initial reaction was one of disappointment when a tiny little schnitzel was placed in front of me. By the time I had cut off a piece to give to each of my three dining companions, most of my schnitty was gone. What remained on my plate was quite a succulent, tender and tasty piece of crumbed meat – at twice the size and half the price, I would have raved about it for weeks.

To be fair, the $22 price-tag also includes the option of two indulgent topping choices – including cheese, bacon, avocado, tomato and a whole host of other goodies. So you’re pretty much getting a pizza on top of a tiny schnitzel, which ends up being a pretty decent meal.

The chips and salad were quite nice without being extraordinary, and the restaurant itself has quite a nice feel to it. I guess the fact that it is famous for its pizzas is a fair indicator that they don’t put as much effort into their schnitzels, which I suppose is fair enough. Overall, the quality of the meal itself was quite good, but size and value were where the marks were lost.

Seriously, come here and have a pizza. It’s a lovely little country town restaurant, with great character, terrific atmosphere and famously delicious pizza.

The Verdict: Perhaps I should have just bitten the bullet and gone with the award-winning pizza…

Taste 4/5, Size 2/5, Value 2.5/5, Sides 3/5, Experience 4/5
Total 62%