Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Café Palazzo

http://cafepalazzo.net.au/

As random schnitzel reviews go, this is one for the ages. I watched an Indian man sitting in an Italian restaurant in Australia, eating a food that originated in Austria. A real win for globalisation, I must say. And not a bad schnitzel either, according to Pratik.

Pratik is an interesting fella. He’s a ‘vegetarian’, but he eats chicken. Anyway, who am I to judge? The guy seems to have a pretty discerning palate, so this seems like a good chance for a review. The schnitzel costs $18.50, plus an extra couple of bucks for some gravy (Pratik loves mushroom gravy but hates mushrooms, so he pours the gravy all over his schnitty, then picks out all the mushrooms. So as near as I can tell, his sauce is basically cream and flour. Still, he seems to enjoy it.). The schnitty is nice and thick. Quite moist and tasty, my Indian friend (he is actually my friend – I don’t just walk up to random ethnic people in restaurants and quiz them on the quality of their food) informs me. It comes with a pretty decent salad, and the chips are quite nice as well (the one I managed to steal, anyway), although a touch light on the salt.

Palazzo is at the northern end of O’ Connell Street, North Adelaide. I have to say, there have been some good schnitties in this neck of the woods, and the tradition seems to be continuing. A little pricey, but Palazzo certainly delivers a quality schnitzel. And it’s a very nice place to sit and eat as well, I must say. Good marks for ambience. The perfect place to eat before heading across the road to Piccadilly cinema.

The Verdict: A tad pricey, but a fine schnitzel.

Taste 4/5, Size 3.5/5, Value 3/5, Sides 3.5/5, Experience 4/5
Total 72%