Friday, February 3, 2012

The Hyde Park Tavern

http://www.hydeparktavern.com.au/

The Hyde Park Tavern is a fairly sophisticated pub, not surprising given its location. The bar is fairly spacious, the service quite good and the restaurant has quite a classy feel to it. Given that it was a week before Christmas, there wasn’t a lot of space in the dining area, and so the restaurant was a bit too noisy to allow free-flowing conversation. Also, my seat had a direct view of a room filled with nothing but kegs of beer. Not particularly enticing. But above that there was a television showing the cricket on Foxtel, so it would be poor form for me to complain too much.

Enough about minor details though. The schnitzel was $17.90, plus an extra dollar for gravy. It wasn’t particularly large or thick, although I certainly wasn’t disappointed with the size. The taste, like the size, was satisfactory without being incredible. There was perhaps a bit too much (oily) crumbing for my liking, but at least none of the schnitzel was dry or overcooked.

I was happy with the salad that accompanied my meal. Most of the chips were hidden under the schnitzel, which I wasn’t impressed with. However, I do prefer having gravy provided in a separate little bowl, rather than being poured all over the schnitty, so I was happy that they got that right.

Overall, the schnitzel-eating experience at the Hyde Park Tavern was satisfying, although it certainly won’t be a challenger for Adelaide’s best schnitty.

The Verdict: Yet another ok schnitzel.

Taste 3.5/5, Size 3/5, Value 3/5, Sides 4/5, Experience 3.5/5
Total 68%

clip_image002