Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The Ramsgate Hotel

www.ramsgatehotel.com.au

I’ve only ever remembered the Ramsgate Hotel as being the place where all the Crows and Port players got in a fight ten years ago. However, it seemed like a waste to go to Henley Beach and not eat a schnitzel there, so I decided to pop in.

The Ramsgate is located just a short drop punt away from Henley Square – perfect location, in other words. The hotel has a spacious bar area with an impressive range of beers, as well as a formal dining section and outdoor seating. We went on a Thursday arvo, meaning that it was fairly quiet, but the place still had a good atmosphere to it.

We were informed upon arrival that today was $10 schnitzel day. Music to my ears. Even going a parmi didn’t incur any additional charge. So far so good. And for ten dollars, I wasn’t disappointed with what I received. The schnitty wasn’t huge but it was still quite tasty, and had enough chicken inside to make me feel like I wasn’t just munching on a plate of fried bread crumbs. The salad was fairly simple and the chips were ok – although there weren’t many, and they were tucked away under the schnitzel.

The schnitzels are normally $16.90, with the choice of going a mega schnitzel for an additional three bucks. From what the waiter told me, I gather that the ten-dollar Thursday schnittys are the same as the regular $16.90 ones, while the ‘mega’ ones are only marginally bigger. So it seems like Thursdays are the day to go there, from a value-for-money point of view.

Overall, this was quite a decent lunch schnitzel. Cheap, tasty, easy on the belly (I felt satisfied, but not violated – always a good way to be), but nothing fantastic. A nice place to go after a morning at the beach.

The Verdict: Not too heavy on my wallet or my tummy, pretty good for ten bucks.

Taste 3.5/5, Size 3/5, Value 4/5, Sides 3/5, Experience 4/5
Total 70%

image