Thursday, February 16, 2012

Hotel Broadway

No doubt the name of this place promotes expectations that it is a much grander place than it is in reality. The restaurant is quite nice, and the front bar has a decent, laidback ambience to it, but there is nothing Hollywood about this place. The large pokies room and the corner of the bar devoted to betting on horse races kind of detracts from the overall experience. How can I enjoy a schnitty while feeling bad about all the problem gamblers around me?

The service was quite good, and the schnitzel was – how would I put this? – quite unique. I had never seen- nor tasted - a schnitzel quite like it. Nothing unusual about the meat (although it was quite moist), or the chips (which were decent, but unfortunately tucked away under the schnitzel), or the salad (although it was a good size, the dressing was very nice, and it came with a bread roll), or the gravy (provided in a separate ladle – extra points for that). But the crumbing – I can’t really explain it, it just had a really original taste and appearance. It had a kind of savoury pancake taste to it. The important thing was, it tasted good. I guess that’s what it all comes down to. I was happy with the size, although it wasn’t exactly huge. It was meaty enough to not leave me feeling like I’d just eaten a ball of dough. At $17 plus an extra buck for gravy, I reckon it was a decent feed for what I paid.

image

The Verdict: Something a little different, but a schnitty is a schnitty. And I enjoyed this one.

Taste 4/5, Size 3.5/5, Value 3.5/5, Sides 4/5, Experience 3.5/5
Total 74%