Monday, February 27, 2012

The Bridgewater Old Mill

It’s always nice eating out in the Adelaide Hills – I’m so rarely disappointed with the quality of food in the restaurants up this way, and it’s just brilliant to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city and suburbs. Tonight’s venue (built on the site of an old mill, funnily enough) was the location of yet another good night out.

The Old Mill is your typical Hills pub, with bar, restaurant, outdoor seating, and a comfortable mix of visitors to Bridgewater and locals grazing at the old watering hole. There seems to be a decent selection of food on the menu, ranging from pub classics to some more elegant offerings. Screw the fancy stuff, I already know what I’m getting!

image

The schnitzel arrives at the table with a generous serving of gravy, a good serving of thick (and delicious) chips, and a hearty salad on the side. The schnitzel is, ironically, the only real disappointment. It’s not bad, but not brilliant – a little thin, and more than a little processed (it tastes eerily similar to oven-baked fish fingers – probably not a good thing, right?). Don’t get me wrong, it still tastes alright, and I didn’t leave the restaurant regretting parting ways with my $17. It just didn’t blow me away, that’s all.

Taste: 3.5/5, Size: 3/5, Value: 3/5, Sides: 4/5, Dining Experience: 4/5
Overall: 70%