Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Maid of Auckland

www.maidofauckland.com.au

The scene of tonight’s review was the Maid of Auckland on South Road. For a place with pokies and a decent beer garden, the Maid actually has quite a high-class menu. The schnitzels were a little pricier than I expected at $19, although that price does include the choice of a range of sauces and parmi toppings. The venue is pretty decent – ideal for a few quiet drinks and a meal on a weeknight. The pokies are nicely hidden around the corner, meaning that I don’t have to watch gambling addicts pouring their savings into slot machines while I smash my schnitty. Still, the presence of pokies always ruins the experience somewhat. Just dampens the mood, I guess. But the staff are quite friendly, and we receive complimentary bread rolls – always a nice touch.

The schnitzels arrive, and they look good. Not enormous, but a decent size, and the crumbing texture is superb. The taste leaves me a little unsatisfied though – the chicken is quite dry, and has been heavily battered. The gravy is spot on though, and they have provided a reasonable salad. The two common sins, unfortunately, are both on show tonight: the chips (which, to be fair, are pretty nice) are stuffed under the schnitty, and the gravy has already been poured on. But I’m hungry, and I’m willing to let these things slide.

clip_image002

The dryness of the meat is the main weakness in what is a solid – but not spectacular – meal. The $19 price tag is probably a bit steep too. Although to be fair, the meat is unprocessed and the herbed crumbing is top shelf, so they’ve obviously put some effort into this schnitty.

clip_image004

My two dining partners have opted for parmis, and are happy with the toppings provided. Interestingly enough, a taste and visual comparison reveals that the beef schnitty is actually thicker and moister than the chicken. I never thought I’d see the day.

The Verdict: A satisfying meal, although a tad dry.

Taste 3/5, Size 3.5/5, Value 3/5, Sides 3.5/5, Experience 4/5
Total 68%